Young Audiences Goes to Town
Thank you! To all who joined us for a celebration to benefit arts learning
Featuring a performance by contemporary dance company LehrerDance
- WHEN: Wednesday, October 10, 2012. 6:00-9:30pm
- 6-8pm cocktails, small plate creative hors d'oeuvres by Current Catering & fun with Nels Ross
- 8-9:30 awards ceremony & LehrerDance Performance
- WHERE: Town Ballroom, 681 Main Street, Buffalo, NY
Young Audiences WNY’s annual fundraiser brings community leaders together to celebrate our mission of enhancing young people’s lives through the arts. Your support helps bring programs to children throughout the eight counties of Western New York. The event features plentiful appetizers, a silent auction, raffles, and our annual awards ceremony - honoring outstanding achievement in the fields of art and education.
- Marvin Askew, Executive Director, Buffalo City Ballet
- Elizabeth Licata, Editor in Chief, Buffalo Spree
- Gilda and Jerry Raiken, long time Young Audiences board members
- Leslie Zemsky, Director of fun, Larkin Square and President, board of directors, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy
50th Anniversary Sponsors
- The Buffalo News
- Buffalo Spree
- Hooper Family Foundation
- M&T Bank
- National Air Cargo
- Arthurs Malof Group at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
- Block Club
- Buffalo Teachers Federation
- Courier Capital Corporation
- Hyatt’s All Things Creative
- Larkin Square
- Lumsden & McCormick, LLP
- National Fuel
- Saperston Assets
Co-Chairs of the event
- Jonathan Mahoney & Kathleen Shaw
- LehrerDance is known internationally for gravity defying choreography and high-energy style.
- Nels Ross has won the hearts of audiences through his gravity-defying arts-in-education programs.
LehrerDance is an inspiring and innovative contemporary dance company based in Buffalo, NY. Under the direction of Jon Lehrer, the company showcases Jon’s unique choreography and embodies his definitive style. Jon’s extensive background in both the modern and jazz dance idioms fosters choreography that is organic, artistic, accessible and often humorous, reflecting life experience and the human condition.
The LehrerDance style is based on three main elements of movement: Circularity, v3-Dimensionality, and Momentum. These combine to create a form best described as “Organically Athletic” – integrating the approach and fluidity of modern dance with the excitement and energy of jazz dance to create an expressive, engrossing style of movement.
LehrerDance is a “small, enviable team of dynamite Buffalo, N.Y. dancers” (Chicago Tribune) comprised of 8 individuals who bring their own unique skills to the LehrerDance vernacular. From Break-Dancing to Modern, Ballet to Gymnastics, each dancer adds their own spice to the LehrerDance mix, keeping it fresh and evolving.
LehrerDance began in July 2007 and has already received much national notoriety and critical acclaim. Dance Magazine says LehrerDance “took the house not so much by storm as by quantum physics”, and is “on the cusp of jazz/modern fusion”. The company tours extensively, bringing their trademark athletic, edge-of-your-seat excitement to audiences nationwide. LehrerDance is proud to be the professional dance company in partnership with the University at Buffalo Department of Theatre and Dance, helping the arts thrive in Western New York.